Admissions Information & Frequently Asked Questions

NTI’Commercial Vehicle Training Association logos dedicated and experienced staff has helped thousands to become successful graduates of Northeast Technical Institute.

We welcome your questions about our classes, campus life, activities, job placement, and financial assistance.

How to Enroll

To enroll, the applicant can either schedule a personal interview to fill out an application for admission, or begin by submitting a secure application online. Depending on the requirements of the course, an applicant may be scheduled for an assessment test to determine basic skill or ability levels. If the applicant is accepted into the program, she/he must complete an enrollment agreement and pay an application fee and/or registration fee in order to reserve a seat in the class. The registration fee also serves as a tuition deposit and is subtracted from the total course charge.

Truck Driver Training FAQ’s

When I earn my CDL A, does this mean I have to go over the road?
No. Many of the companies are hiring for local jobs.
Is job placement available?
While no school can guarantee you job placement, Northeast Tech’s graduates high employment rate speaks for itself. The overwhelming majority of our graduates are able to choose from the many carries that recruit from NTI.
Where are classes held?
Corporate offices are in Scarborough Maine. Training is available in Scarborough and Bangor, Maine.
What is the class schedule?
Classes are held from 7:00am to 5:30pm, Monday through Thursday, and 7:00am to 5:30pm, Saturday and Sunday.
Is funding or financing assistance available?
Yes, funding and/or financing assistance is available if you qualify. Call 800.447.1151 for details.
What opportunities do women have in trucking?
Demand for women drivers have never been greater, many carriers are heavily focused on recruiting women drivers.
When I graduate, must I be a “Long-Haul” driver?
Carriers are quite diverse in their travel lanes, some are long-haul, some regional/dedicated and some are local. While there are local jobs available, there are more opportunities for long-haul drivers, and the pay is generally higher.
Will I have a CDL when I finish training?
After the end of training, you will be scheduled to take a State CDL test. While every effort is made to assist you in passing the test, we do not guarantee results. Should you fail the test, we will work with you to schedule another test and be there with you as you re-test.
My wife and I are interested, is there a demand for team drivers?
Yes, many carriers are looking for team drivers including husband/wife teams. This allows the carrier to move freight longer distances much faster.
Should I be concerned about class size?
Of course you should. Your training is important and instructor attention is crucial. At NTI, we have 12 instructors and 15 trucks, so we are equipped to deal with various class sizes. The State of Maine mandates hours of training (147.5 hours) and our training exceeds their requirements (200 hours). You can be sure that you will receive at least 23 hours of behind the wheel driving on the road and more than enough time to practice in our training yard. If the class size grows, we simply add instructors and trucks to accommodate. Most students enjoy friendships they make with their classmates while training at NTI. With our reputation and our commitment to the success of our students, it is understandable that our classes may be larger than some others.
What other costs should I expect to pay?
Your tuition covers all your costs related to training. Books, materials, DOT Physical, DOT drug test and the State licensing test are all covered. All you need to pay are retest fees with the State if you don’t pass the test your first time. In Maine and New Hampshire, the fee is $15.00.
What is the Difference between a Class A and Class B License?
Class A and Class B differ primarily in their weight restrictions. Below is a break-down of the difference, as well as the endorsements available.



Class A:

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds; holders of subclass A licenses may, with any appropriate endorsements and/or permits, operate all vehicles within subclasses B and C.

Class B:

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR; Holders of subclass B license may, with any appropriate endorsements and/or permit, operate all vehicles within subclass C.


H = Hazardous Materials
N = Tank
P = Passenger
S = School Bus/STV
T = Doubles/Triples
X = N & H Combined